Mosxaraki kokkinisto (Veal in tomato sauce) with fried potatoes
- 1k veal (chump end) cut in medium pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 large, dry onion, chopped
- 6 tbs of olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ripe, fresh tomatoes, grated (or 400-500g canned)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt, pepper and nutmeg (optional)
- fried potatoes for serving
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and brown the meat. Remove the meat pieces from the saucepan, add onion and garlic and saute them for 2'-3'. Put the meat back in the saucepan.
Add the tomatoes, peeled and grated, and stir. Put salt, pepper, the bay leaf, sugar and some nutmeg, if you like it. Add a cup of water and stir again.
Simmer over a low heat for 1½ hour until the water has evaporated and the meat is left in the sauce. Add some water in the meanwhile if needed. Serve the veal with fresh fried potatoes.