Roasted vegetable casserole (Briam)
- aubergine: 500g, cleaned and sliced
- potatoes: 500g, cleaned and sliced
- courgettes: 500g, cleaned and sliced
- onions: 2, sliced
- peppers: 500g, cleaned and cut in thick pieces
- tomatoes: 6 large, ripe, grated
- parsley: 2 tablespoons, finely chopped
- garlic: 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
- olive oil: 1½ cup
- water: 1 cup
- sugar: ½ teaspoon
- pepper freshly ground
Salt the aubergine slices and leave in a colander to remove bitterness. Wash, drain and dry them well. Heat some olive oil in a wide, non-stick saucepan and sauté the vegetables in the following order: potatoes, courgettes, onions, peppers and finally the aubergines (whenever necessary, add oil to the saucepan). Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon.
In a bowl, mix tomatoes with parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar and remaining oil. Place sautéed vegetables in a baking pan and pour tomato mixture on top.
Cover with aluminium foil and cook in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for 1 hour. Then remove the aluminium foil, stir the vegetables carefully and put back into the oven to brown.