Spinach and rice (Spanakorizo)
- fresh spinach: 1 kg
- olive oil: 2/3 cup
- spring onions: 2, finely chopped
- onion: 1, finely chopped
- garlic: 2 cloves, sliced thin
- long-grain rice: 200g
- dill: 1 bunch, finely chopped
- potato: 1, cut into cubes (optional)
- lemon juice: from 1 lemon
- pepper freshly ground
Carefully wash the spinach. Clean and chop it finely. Heat half the oil in a pot and sauté the onions and the garlic. Add the rice and stir for 3-4 minutes. Add the spinach, dill and potato cubes (optional) and continue to sauté and stir for 1-2 minutes.
Pour in the lemon juice, the remaining oil and 3 cups of water and cook over a low heat for 40-45 minutes. Shortly before it is ready, add salt and pepper.