Baklava with chocolate
For a baking dish 40x40 cm
- 2 packs Crust sheet for sweets (2 x 450 g. - 15.9 oz)
- ½ kg (17.6 oz) butter, melted
- 5 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups of almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chocolat de couverture, grated on the coarse side of the grater
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon cloves powder
For the syrup
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of sugar
- 2½ cups water
- a little vanilla
- peel of 1 lemon
For the coating
- 100 g. (3.5 oz) chocolat de couverture
- some walnuts
Mix walnuts, almonds, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, grated chocolate and the grated zest of orange in large bowl.
In a well buttered baking tray, line 3-4 layers of crust sheets, by spreading butter between them. Put a little filling, then two layers of buttered sheets on top of it, then stuffing again. We repeat the process until the filling material is finished. Put on top 3 layers of crust sheets, also buttered.
Carve the baklava into pieces, heat the remaining butter and pour it over. Bake in moderate oven for 2-2½ hours, until the surface is browned.
In saucepan, we mix all the ingredients for the syrup (sugar, water, vanilla and lemon peel) and boil the mixture until it thickens. Remove the lemon peel and pour the syrup over the baklava while they are both hot.
Allow the baklava to cool off and absorb the syrup for at least 2 hours. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie and spread it over the baklava, garnish with whole nuts and place the dessert in the refrigerator for 40 minutes at least.